Sunday, April 20, 2008

Most would rather die

It's really unfortunate from what I've seen of many people out there. They would rather die than change their way of thinking, or change their eating habits. I watched a good friend of mine die of lung cancer. He had one lung taken out already, yet he still refused to stop smoking. His breakfast every morning was orange juice and vodka, first thing in the morning. He refused to change, and it was very painful for me to watch him die. But, as the old saying goes, you can't help those who don't help themselves.

So, I simply put the information out there, and hope that people are willing to take their own health and well being into their own hands. My parents have always thought that I was obsessed over health. My mom asked me, "Just how long do you want to live, anyways?". My response is this, "It doesn't matter to me how long I live, it's the quality of life while I'm alive." I have friends who do take their health into their hands. One woman is in her 60's and she is DAMN HOT!!! She is in great shape, and she can run circle's around most 30 year olds I know. She was willing to make her health her own responsibility by becoming informed. I want to be in great shape, with a clear mind until the day I die.

Don't watch this video if you are not willing to take responsibility for your life.

3 comments:

Orange County Guy said...

The harsh fact is that with many people, it's either my way or the highway. Attitudes like that is the reason we have so many problems.

Howay the Lads said...

what phoenix guy said was right...

Toxic Reverend said...

The video would not play. I'm surfing on Firefox, but it seems that Google might have moved the video because I could not find a URL address.

My contention is that it is not always "my way or the highway", but rather the need for a better path with a clear trail ..... The nature of addiction is so powerful, cunning and baffling that it defies description in so short of a space.

I've been clean and sober for 24 years and have found tobacco to be one of the toughest addictions that I have ever faced. While
"taking responsibility for my health" is important (and I do try), I am well aware that many are caught up in the cycles of addiction. One of the better books on this topic is "Seven Weeks To Sobriety" that emphasizes nutritional supplements with the Anonymous Twelve Step Programs and has a 70% plus recovery rate. Most of the "other books" that I had reviewed on this topic did not recommend using the Twelve Step Programs and had a rather dismal recovery rate. The two concepts combined seem to be the best, but it violate the "Twelve Traditions" of the anonymous programs to endorse such things.
Current recovery rates of just the
anonymous programs are about three out of thirty-six.

Now I am not sure just what it will take for me to stop smoking (besides death), but I am "working on it".

TR