Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A City Girl Learning Country Lessons

Ok, so, maybe I am becoming a bit of a hillbilly........... but, I'm not a very good one. I have always wanted to raise chickens. There is nothing tastier than fresh eggs. And though many of you know that though I have done different diets, vegetarian, etc, I have always loved eggs. I never believed it was completely wrong to eat animals, I just really didn't like the idea of raising animals for mass profit. If I know an animal is happy, and loved, I feel a bit better about it.

However, making the transition from city girl to country girl has been a bit rougher than I had expected. First, I'm trying to build a chicken coop............. I have the materials, but, I haven't gotten it built yet. This new house I just moved into has a beautiful garden out front that is all fenced in because the deer will get into it. However, the garden was grown over and hadn't been taken care of in about 2 years. So, I'm busy weeding it, etc. But, I found this ad on the internet for roosters, and these roosters were absolutely GORGEOUS! I couldn't resist it. They were very inexpensive, so, I drove over to the guys house and these roosters were amazing. I was only going to get ONE and let him run around the property until I got the hen house built.

WELL!! This guy talked me into bringing SIX roosters home with me. OIY! Well, now I have 6 roosters, and no hens, and no eggs. One of the roosters, who was my favorite to begin with, has decided he is the king cock, and everytime I turn my back on him, he takes a running leap at me. He scratched me up pretty good. I find it a bit hilarious, but, my friends don't think it is so funny. So, I have narrowed it down to two roosters that I am going to keep. But, so far, my stint as a country girl hasn't been too successful. I guess it's a learning curve? LOL!!!

1 comment:

MR. TROY said...

well you are having fun along the way.